August 31, 2009

Feelin' those funky beads


Got a wild hair to do some beading and couldn't resist using some funky shell beads this week. I have a thing for funky shells, but sometimes they are a little harder to design with because of that funkiness. I loved these blue dyed shells that I bought recently on a trip for my lapidary class (lapidary is an artisan who forms stone, mineral, gemstones, and other suitably durable materials (amber, shell, jet, pearl, copal, coral, horn and bone, glass and other synthetics) into decorative items (e.g. cameos, cabochons, and faceted designs).

My friend, and college pledge daughter, Tina liked it so much that it is now hers:-) Well, it's on it's way to her anyway. I also have brown shells of the same type, but I didn't get a chance to use those yet, so more fun for later. I had hammered this focal piece quite a while back and hadn't used it, so why not now? I added a mix of jasper and copper beads and crafted a sterling hook clasp in back.

No comments:

Post a Comment